Tuesday 15 August 2023

You always forget something!

Thursday 10th August; Gayton marina

After waving goodbye yesterday to two of our lovely grandsons (and their Mum), we packed up and left for the boat this morning.   It’s a long drive from Devon to Gayton but the traffic was ok and there were no holdups, and we were at the marina before 3.  The boat was surprisingly cool, considering the sun was blazing down, but once we had unloaded the car it was soon obvious what we (well, I) had forgotten.  I went to close the curtains against the sun … and remembered I had taken the port side ones home to wash.  I can’t even remember where I put them – all our boat clutter had to be moved before the grandsons arrived.  Luckily Dave remembered there was some leftover curtain fabric in a cupboard, and that was enough to substitute all but one of the missing curtains – much better than towels! 

He carried on being wonderful by fitting another solar panel.  We had been delighted to find the batteries full when we returned, and once the new one was commissioned the batteries returned to full even though it was late afternoon and the fridge was on.  We are delighted.

In the meantime I cut up the cardboard wrapping from the new solar panel to repair the dog’s bed.  She had been sleeping on a sort of pancake since the original foam sides disintegrated.

but now it is a proper bed again (though I still haven't taken a photo).  In the winter the high sides help to keep her warm. 

We decided to stay put in the marina tonight, and set off to walk Meg along the towpath to have a look at the top of the Rothersthorpe (Northampton) flight, our work for tomorrow.  We should have moved down to the top lock, as there is an offside mooring above the lock, and it was free.  And quieter than the marina, which is afflicted by the A road running parallel to the canal beyond the trees opposite.  But hey ho.  We wandered back, and I prepped tea while Dave investigated precisely where the fitting for the Wi-Fi bits and pieces will go.  That’s his current project – he’s done the research and got the bits, it’s just where to drill the holes.

Bonjour from the towpath

I spent quite a long time investigating how to get the photos from my new camera onto the laptop.  I’ve only just got it, and didn’t realise that Canon doesn’t supply a cable for the purpose as standard.  So I’ll have to buy one.  But tonight I tried to get them transferred to my phone via wi-fi, with singular lack of success (the instructions are appalling).  But as you can see, I have finally solved the problem – it just took a few days to realise what was wrong!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment