Friday 7 July 2023

Things don't always go to plan

Wednesday 5th July; Gayton Marina

We drove up today, anticipating a lovely three weeks on the Nene, which kept us going round the endless roundabouts and a diversion round Bicester as our motorway exit on the M40 was blocked by an overturned lorry.  We unpacked in the sunshine, and it was all very convenient as you can get the car very close to your boat on this mooring.  We were planning on staying in the marina overnight, as there are few places to moor and a lot of locks between here and Northampton, where the canal joins the river.

I strolled up to the office with Meg to book us in again after our trip, and what a piece of luck that I happened to mention our plans – had we seen the stoppage notice? asked the lady on the desk.  Well no, I was so pleased with myself for remembering to sign up for strong stream warnings for the Nene that I clean forgot about stoppages.  She kindly printed off a copy for me.

No Nene for us on this trip!
 

Abington is so close to Northampton that there was no point in buying a Nene visitor licence in order to hang around on a short stretch of river.  We had a good old grumble and wondered whether to go back towards Braunston or down toward London, or just go home again after a short potter about.  We’ll sleep on it.

I wonder if there are dogs on board ....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment