Sunday 29 October 2023

And finally the sun came out

Saturday 21st October; Tardebigge (above lock 33) to below Astwood flight

This morning as it got light everything looked yellowy brown under the clouds.  There had been so much run-off from the fields over the last few days that the water reminded us of the Trent & Mersey north of Harecastle tunnel.

We were away about 9, and in about an hour were leaving the bottom lock.  There is a stoppage here over winter to replace the very dodgy bottom gates.  But as the lock is a listed structure, permission has to be obtained first.

I seem to remember the balance beams have been different lengths for at least a year, maybe much longer.  The box repair on the offside looks as though that is rotting too.

In a sorry state

It wasn’t raining, but with the lock gates all still soaking wet I had to keep my full wet weathers on to keep my clothes dry.  Stoke top lock has a bandage affair on the bottom offside gate, but it’s not listed in the stoppages this winter.

The grass along the Stoke flight is quite long and the bottom edges of my wet weathers, then my trousers, and then my socks, became drenched and then the inside of my shoes which are normally pretty waterproof.  I think I need new waterproof trousers.  At Stoke Bottom lock there were two delightful lockies to work us through and I took the opportunity to dispose of rubbish and recycling.

We moored on the Stoke Works visitor moorings at about 11.30.  The housing estate built on the tatty old industrial waste land has been finished for a while now, but the towpath is still wet and muddy.  This would be a much better place to improve the towpath than some of the spots which have been recently done!  I got changed into dry trousers, socks and shoes (then had to pick my way round the muddy bits) for the 15 minute walk to the shop in Ryebank Lane – we have nearly run out of milk.  And I got the paper too.  There are several mature sweet chestnut trees on the way, and this year the crop has been excellent – I filled two pockets full of nice fat nuts. 

I had left Dave mopping out the engine hole and he was still at it when I got back, so I put the Eberspacher on for an hour to dry my working clothes and a couple of towels.  I am sick of everything being so damp!  It didn’t help that I left one side of the cratch cover slightly open yesterday evening when it was raining.  I got a faceful of water when I eventually closed it - it went down my neck and soaked half the well deck too.  Anyway, we had lunch and after topping up the water tank (not fully – we will be winterising in a day or two) – we carried on towards Astwood locks.  Dry at last, so we didn’t need any waterproofs!  And the sun came out!  A boat was coming up the flight too, the first we have met at a lock since the other side of Penkridge.  It was Ollie Owl, the electric hire boat out of Droitwich Spa, off to wind at Stoke bottom lock.  Her sister boat Arthur Owl is unfortunately still in Alvechurch, having had to reverse all the way back from Shortwood tunnel after the tree fell yesterday morning.  After Ollie Owl had gone, the flight was quiet, so Dave seized the mop and got the worst of the bird poo and mud splashes off both sides of the boat while we were in the lock.

Taking advantage of two good edges

The lock cottage at the second to bottom lock usually has some lovely flowers to be seen.  These hollyhocks are still flowering beautifully.  My mum always used to say that summer isn’t over till the top hollyhock flowers are open.

Still summer? Hmm ...

The gnomes are standing guard along the path but are looking rather faded now.  We moored in lovely sunshine below the bottom lock.  Between us we washed, rinsed and dried the port side and then Dave washed the roof which desperately needed doing.  I went inside to do some cleaning, then when I went to see if Dave wated a cup of tea he was halfway through polishing the port side.  It was so nice to be able to light the fire later, and for once not have to arrange damp clothing to dry out.

11 locks, 3 miles

2 comments:

  1. The hollyhocks in Chippy are long long gone. There's a chill in the air, bonfire night soon on our heels. Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this was just last Saturday! I reckon they had been planted late, they are finished here too

    ReplyDelete